Monday 26 October 2015

Camp Cove Late Afternoon 25 10 2015


Camp Cove


Today I was sick of the rubbish weather and right at sunset I thought I would try my luck at a first dip in Camp Cove. Located near Watson Bay’s Ferry Wharf, Camp Cove is another elite beach; home to many of Sydney’s millionaires (with views to match). Due to its calm waters and abundant sea life, it makes for a perfect spot to set up with the family for a picnic and swim.







Camp Cove also serves as an important historical landmark, as on the 21st of January 1788 Governor Phillip made first landfall in Sydney Harbour here, resting a night before settling in Sydney Cove. However, the native Aboriginal people (Cadigal) have long occupied the Camp Cove area and their impressive rock engravings depict a variety of marine life.

Now this was my first venture into Camp Cove and to be honest I didn’t have high hopes. It was fairly choppy and was late in the day so visibility wasn’t great. However, I was quickly lost in the variety of iridescent coral and seaweed forests.

My camera doesn't do the neon blue justice.



A highlight was just how many Waratah Anemones were open. Named after the beautiful red Waratah flower which serves as the NSW state emblem. At low tide when they are exposed to the air, they draw in their tentacles and simply look like a small red blob.






One of the great kelp forests, which serve as perfect hiding spots for fish.

A Pin Cushion Urchin (aptly named I think).



Exploring the craggy rocks on the right hand side of the bay, really gives a taste of what the Sydney region might have looked like, before the arrival of Europeans.






The city skyline also provides an excellent backdrop for a Sydney sunset.






Despite the great scenery I didn’t manage to get too many decent shots of creatures; I did grab a few of a crab. Not too sure but I think it might be a Red Rock Crab.






A couple of schooling fish.










A few smooth toadfish; some of the friendliest fish about. They usually swim straight up to you, but beware of eating as they are extremely poisonous, in the past voodoo priests have used their poison (tetrodotoxin) to incapacitate their victims.





Pro’s
  • Plenty of room in the free car-park
  • Beautiful surrounds – great views of the harbour at sunset, awesome rock walls, and million dollar properties
  • Generally pretty quiet
  • A good variety of coral


Con’s
  • Tough to get too by bus
  • No lifeguard
  • Visibility is not great after big rains
  • Jagged oysters abound ; potential for plenty of cuts (as I discovered)




All in all Camp Cove provides a decent harbour reef with the highlight being the amazing coral and beautiful surrounds. I am definitely keen to further explore the area but I must admit its not at the top of my to do list.

1 comment: